As more data becomes available, more foods we eat are called into question (see the list below). Some of these items are even marketed as healthy alternatives. Considering some of the possible consequences, it’s probably a good idea to exclude or cut down on these highly popular items:
- Coffee Creamers: they contain loads of harmful preservatives and additives.
- Margarine: in stick form, it contains trans-fat that harms your blood vessels and packs tons of calories per tablespoon.
- Bacon: sometimes the truth hurts. It’s incredibly high in sodium, and can increase the chance of heart disease and high cholesterol.
- Artificial Sweeteners: while most are low in calories, they’re also high in additives that can cause type 2 diabetes, certain forms of cancer and even cardiovascular ailments.
- Soda: it’s high in calories and loaded with sugar that’s horrible for your teeth. Some brands even contain brominated vegetable oil, which may cause skin problems, dementia and memory loss.
- Whole Milk: it’s fattening and known to clog the arteries. Skip it for lower fat varieties.
- Bagels and Bread: often high in calories, they can also cause the dreaded energy crash half way through the day. Choose whole wheat options whenever possible.
- Microwave Popcorn: it’s always fun for movie night, but can actually be more harmful than you ever imagined. The coating inside these bags has been linked to liver cancer and prostate cancer.